Tuesday 14 June 2016

Euro 2016 Food Challenge: Portugal: Caldo Verde



Caldo Verde, a.k.a. Portuguese Green Soup.  This is the only Portuguese recipe I know, but it's one of my favourites, and as chorizo is so high in syns I thought I'd have a bash at a syn-free version. 

I first saw this on one of the Hairy Bikers' programmes, and I've cooked their recipe so many times I know it off by heart:


In my slimmed-down version, I've swapped the chorizo for gammon and smoked paprika, and used a mix of swede and potato to up the speed food content. 

Ingredients

Frylight
2 large onions, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
300g diced swede
250g lean smoked gammon / bacon, cubed
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
A large bunch of spring greens, finely shredded

Spray a large stock pot with Frylight and sweat the onion over a low heat until translucent.  Add the garlic and gammon, and fry for another couple of minutes before adding the potato and swede.
Add the paprika and stir well to combine. 


Fry for a couple more minutes then add the stock and bay leaves. Simmer over a lowish heat until the potato and swede are cooked.

Use a potato masher to mash the potato and swede into the soup.


Put the greens into a pan, pour over boiling water and leave to stand for a minute.


Drain the greens and add to the soup one spoon at a time until you get the consistency you like (if you want a heavy soup add more, for a lighter soup add less).


Season and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment