Tuesday 21 June 2016

Euro 2016 Food Challenge: England: SP All Day Breakfast with Traditional Oxford Sausages


Being English there were any number of English dishes I could have chosen for the challenge, but I wanted to do something a bit different. I'd never heard of Oxford sausages until I started researching English dishes. Traditionally they were made without casings, so I thought they'd be worth a try as a syn-free sausage replacement (I know they sell them in Iceland, I'm just not a fan).  These are supposed to be made with pork and veal, but I've used pork and beef instead.

Verdict: not bad. The low fat meat gives quite a dense texture, but the taste is good. I oven baked mine, but they ended up quite dry so I'll pan fry them next time. 

Oxford Sausages

250g lean pork mince
250g lean beef mince
Half an onion, finely chopped
A handful of sage, chopped
1 tsp mace
Plenty of salt and pepper

Place all the ingredients in a food processor, and blitz until the mixture comes together like sausage meat.  Form into sausages. Pan fry in Frylight.

I served mine with beans, bacon medallions, grilled tomato, mushrooms pan fried with thyme leaves, and 2 slices of toast (HEB). I don't like fried eggs do I left those out, and black pudding was too many syns! So this was a Not-Quite-Full-English...

No comments:

Post a Comment